1881 -> 2016 || 135 years of Strudel
1881 > 2016
135 years of Strudel
The authentic ingredients in this old-fashioned strudel have been gathered from an 1881 collection of recipes discovered a few years ago in the Ustaria Posta cellars. A modern take on the classic delights: fresh new look, same great taste. Experience the singular sensations of this popular pastry.
Recipe for 6 servings:
Pasta frolla dough:
- 150 grams (1 cup plus 1 Tbsp) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 50 grams (3 ½ Tbsp) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 80 grams (1/3 cup plus 1 tsp) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 sachet vanilla sugar (or ½ tsp of vanilla extract)
- grated lemon zest
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Cream together sugar, butter, vanilla, lemon zest, and egg until the batter is light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and baking powder and continue mixing. If the batter is too dry, dribble some milk, a tablespoon at a time. Work the dough until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Form dough into a soft ball, wrap it in plastic or foil, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Divide the dough into two parts. Use half the dough to make decorative cookies. Roll out the other half of the dough onto a pan, roughly 1 cm (¼ inch) thick.
Bake strudel base for 10/15 minutes at 180°C / 350°F. Bake decorative cookies for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool. Crumble strudel base into small pieces. Set decorative cookies aside.
Vanilla whipped cream:
- 200 grams (1 cup) heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- sugar, to taste
Scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the cream. Add sugar to taste. Beat with a whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
Peel and core 2 or 3 apples. Dice into small pieces. Stir in sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, raisins and cinnamon powder to taste.
In a small skillet, heat 1-2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 1-2 teaspoons of breadcrumbs. Stir in apple mixture and cook for about 5 minutes. Cool the last layer of our strudel recipe.
Assembly and decoration:
In 6 glass cups, layer pasta frolla crumble, whipped cream, and diced apples. Decorate with cookies or other garnishes, if desired. Use your imagination!
Have you tried making it?
Have you tried our recipe? If you have, send us a picture of your strudel by E-mail, publish it on our Facebook page, or tag us on Instagram or Twitter.
At the end of the summer, we’ll choose the 3 best creations and send the winners a surprise!